Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Down for the Count

I started to get a little success in the writing life and as a result got overwhelmed and quit.

What happened was that in the process of taking the next steps forward and making decisions I grew intolerably anxious. It was like that time on Jenny Craig when I reached my goal and felt so uncomfortable in my new successful body that I had to start gaining the lost pounds back. This fear, terror, whatever it is, usually just lurks beneath the surface but when I start to leave its clutches it rears up and roars. Clinically, Matina Horner named the anxiety "fear of success."

So I said, OK anxiety fear horror IquitIquitIquitIquit!! OK??

The monster stopped roaring but is still pacing around. Times like this I really miss Denny. You could say anything to him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isidora said...

Pru, repeat after me: success will be delicious!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Tell that to my "wild things"!!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home