Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Well Done, Suffragette

The Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe wants my papers. This confirms my belief that the women's movement was something good I did in my life--back in the 70s.

My collection includes:

"No More Fun and Games" pamphlets, angry stuff about patriarchy, early second-wave.

A lobbying booklet I assembled in 1971, which includes a bill to allow women to drink in bars.

A few copies of the Eastern Mass. NOW newsletter from 1971, which I wrote, typed, and mimeographed.

A T-shirt from the Campaign for the Massachusetts Equal Rights Amendment (passed in 1976--so we have equal rights here despite not in nation). Front says, "Equality under the law shall not be denied or abridged because of sex, race, color, creed, or national origin." Back: "Vote Yes on #1." I was the state-wide Press Coordinator.

A handwritten draft of a speech I gave somewhere explaining what NOW was (on the back of Hammock Master stationery-- Denny's store).

A few photocopied newsletters from the Evangelical Women's Caucus, around 1985, created on a DECMate One (born to edit newsletters I guess). The curator, Kathy Jacob, told me the Schlesinger is "aggressively" looking to build up their collection of women's spirituality, "for research."

As for old books such as "Sisterhood is Powerful," the library can sell them at their annual book sale. Kathy said, "The young women love that second wave stuff."

She also invited me in for a tour and for lunch. Why does this make me so sad? Is it because I'm history?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you! If you are history, well, you have done good in the world. You have truly helped move things in the right direction. I really do take pride in your work for women's rights. In addition to your public work, you raised three girls to expect the world was open to them and helped create a world that would be open to them when they got there.

Love, daughter #3

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home