Monday, May 25, 2009

Chess Projections

McGregor loves chess. At the prospect of playing, he jumps around and pumps the air like a boxer getting ready for a match.
Of course I usually lose to him, 9 times out of 10. It's a mystery to me how McGregor sets things up: no matter what I go to do, all his pieces are so backed up. He's been thinking according to a plan, whereas all I can ever think to do is attack.

About 4 p.m. McGregor said, "Let's order a pizza," so we did. When you're old and your IRA might die, why not live for the moment.

Later I played chess against myself; there's a program on my computer that lets one do that. I'll make a move as white, and then the board turns around, and I need to move as black. How instructive. Whether I'm white or black, the opposing side seems in so much better shape. Whether I'm black or white, the other player is so much better than me!! Of course I always fought to a stalemate. Just goes to show after all: you can't win.

There must be some wisdom lurking in that experience, but perhaps not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home